Explore a variety of stitches, threads, and embellishment methods for your appliqué and embroidery projects while creating a sampler that can be turned into a wallhanging or pillow. We'll work with wool circles appliquéd to charm squares (or stitch directly on cotton/linen toweling if you prefer). We'll learn a different set of stitches in each session, including creative variations on blanket and buttonhole stitches, chain stitches, woven stitches, and more. We'll also work with a range of threads and fibers to add texture and glitz. Class handouts will include stitch recipe cards with diagrams and instructions for the stitches taught. Come ready to play!
Materials (for 1st session)
- 5" × 5" squares of felted wool (at least 3)*
- Felted wool scraps or precut circles*
- Embroidery floss to match scraps
- An assortment of pearl cotton in sizes 8, 5, and/or 3 (preferably several colors, including solids and variegated)
- Large chenille (size 18) and milliner's (sizes 1 and 3) needles
- Recommended: Creative Stitching by Sue Spargo. This book covers many of the stitches we'll work with and offers additional inspiration.
* OR 1 yard toweling
Barbara and Vicki can help you make a selection of various wool scraps, circles and squares. If you are unsure about threads, bring what you have and we'll help you during class.